Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Assignment 10



An Open Letter to Educators
Dan Brown’s video is so great! After progressing this far in EDM310 I can say I do not find this video shocking at all, instead I wish more people would realize how true it is. I too sit in class listing to lecture and lecture about facts that I have to remember for only for an exam and then most of the information is forgotten. I don’t know if I would go as far as dropping out of school, but I do agree that some of the classes I have paid for in college are ridiculous and I hate the fact that I am basically paying for useless information only to gain a credit.

Hopefully in the future more and more people will realize that the school systems need to change their ways of teaching. I know enhancing technology in classrooms is in progress, but in my opinion the process isn’t moving fast enough. The most important thing that we should all take from college is the knowledge we gain from the class room, not a piece of paper that just states you have a degree. Yes, having a degree may show that you worked hard for something in your life and you may end up getting a good job with it, but I’d rather leave college knowing I have fulfilled my expectations and have gotten what I paid for.

It all comes down to people realizing that there needs to be a change and people have to step up and do something about it. Taking EDM310 class has changed the way I think about learning using technology. I think this class should not only be required for an education major, but for every college student so they can realize how important it is that reaching a higher education is the important goal here not just getting by in classes “memorizing facts!”

Two questions that can change your life- Daniel Pink
What is my sentence? Well this was actually pretty hard for me to come up with, which is silly considering it’s just one sentence. Lately a lot of things have been changing in my life, and I’m not talking about little everyday changes I’m talking about dramatic changes. With everything going on around me I have realized one important thing. You must love yourself in order to obtain full happiness. So that is my sentence and I will be working on loving myself and realizing what I deserve.

Was I better today than yesterday? This was a great question, simple but still great. It is something that everyone should ask themselves and realize in order to better your life don’t dwell on the past. I like to live by the saying “if you make a mistake fix it and learn from the experience.” I am trying to better myself and I will live my life day by day and make the best out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I agree that technology is important and it is not advancing fast enough in schools. Although I am learning a lot about technology and I know it is very useful, I still believe it is just a tool. I say that because I do not think everybody understand that it is a tool, not the bases for education. I think if it was, then we would not need teachers and schools.

    Writing my sentence was difficult as well. The one thing that I love to do, is help others when possible. I think you have a powerful sentence, and I think a lot of people need to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I completely agree with you about the ridiculous classes. Yes, I think gaining more knowledge in different areas is great; however, I don't want it to cost me hundreds of dollars. I also think this class could benefit all people. Being able to use technology is a great tool to have. As teachers we do need to help our students actually learn and gain more knowledge. In my opinion knowledge is definitely more important than test scores.

    I absolutely love your sentence! I think it is great advice that all people can apply to their lives. I also think it is great to learn from our mistakes and better from them.

    I was wondering where your comment about leaving the pencil at school was?

    ReplyDelete