Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog assignment 5

Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog
After watching the Shark-tastic interview, created by Mrs. Edmison’s third grade class, it helped me understand how simple, yet great a podcast can be. As you can tell in the podcast the students are quite intrigued with the facts the shark diver informs them with, and I loved how you could hear the excitement in the kids voices as they learned about sharks. The podcast is definitely a great strategy to use as a teacher. I think this is an excellent tool to use in the classroom to keep the kids interested and entertained while learning.

The benefits of podcasting in the classroom
This is definitely a helpful video for people who are interested in podcasting! Joe Dale, the creator of this video, points out some very great facts on how podcasting can help in the classroom. One of my favorite things that he pointed out was, if a student is sick and misses school they don’t have to miss out on class, instead they can simply listen to the lecture in a podcast the teacher has created. After watching this video I agree that podcasting can be very effective and beneficial for both the students and teachers in a classroom.

100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better
This is a great website page that can help people get interested in podcasting. Not only does it give out links on how to set up a podcast and learn how to use it, but it also gives links to some very good podcasts out there that can be beneficial to learning. After looking over this article I realized there are numerous learning tools and podcasts available, such as listening to tutorials on how to speak another language, which is quite impressive.

To be honest before this assignment I never even knew what a podcast was. After researching these articles I have became quite interested in the whole podcasting idea. I agree that podcasting can be very beneficial in the classroom, especially if the teacher gives work outside of the classroom or if a student misses class. I really enjoyed the experience of learning how to do my own podcast. Learning how to cut and piece together my groups voices all to make a perfect flowing podcast speech in the end was very exciting. In the future when I have my own students I will surly keep in mind this experience of making a podcast and how great of an educational tool it can be.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    Your comment ... I never even knew what a podcast was. After researching these articles I have became quite interested in the whole podcasting idea. ... is the basis of what we are trying to do as educators. We want students to learn a variety of things that they do not know and we want to give them the guidance and resources to help them to learn the concepts. As you move forward as an educator, you can challenge your students with things that they do not already know and you can empower them to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    I also did not know what a podcast was before this assignment and our project. I am glad I had the opportunity to learn about it because it could be very helpful to students and teachers. I also watched Joe Dale's video on the Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom. The part about students being able to catch up if they were absent really intrigued me as well. Although I understand that some students still would not listen or watch the podcast it is good for the teacher to have as evidence that she provides help to the students.

    ReplyDelete