Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog Assignment 3

A Vision of Student Today
This video states several facts that many college students can relate to. Although we can relate to these facts it makes me wonder who is to blame, the students or the teacher? It states in the video that students spend numerous hours doing things on the web, talking on the phone, listening to music, etc., but why is it that they choose to spend there time this way instead of studying and trying to learn; is it because the teachers work is simply boring or are the students just lazy? To be quite blunt I’m not sure what the point of this video is, it states random facts about how students spend their time but never really got to a point of why the video was made in the first place.

If I were to add to the video I would include some facts from the teachers point of view vs. just facts from a student survey. Now granted I can relate to how ridiculous the coast of books and school is for me, but I also knew what I was getting into from the start. Another thing that stood out to me is how many hours a day someone can spend on face book, I do not know why it is that so many people have been sucked into this social network but I can admit I too am a victim. Maybe if someone can come up with a way of teaching through a social networking class that was entertaining like facebook that would be the solution.
 
It’s Not About the Technology

After reading It’s Not About the Technology by Kelly Hines, I strongly agree with the points she has stated in her post. Out of the list of four things she mentions in order to impact the students effectively my favorite is number one, teachers must be learners. In order for students to learn, the teacher is the one responsible to be able to teach accurately and being able to use different methods of teaching so that every child in the class is gaining from the lesson. A teacher should not rely on the learning experience from the classroom to come from technology alone.

Ms. Hines also mentions in her post that a teacher may have the tools to use technology in the classroom such as computers or a whiteboard, but if the teacher isn’t willing to learn how to use it then the tools are useless. I think all teachers should be up to date with the latest technology, but that doesn’t mean they have to use it as there only teaching method in the classroom.



Is It Okay to be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I can honestly say I agree with Mr. Karl Fisch one hundred percent. He is not trying to preach technology is the future, or that technology has to be used in the classrooms in order for students to learn, he is simply just trying to get the point across that teachers shouldn’t be aloud to be technologically-illiterate, and why should they be? In his post he states “All educators must achieve a basic level of technological capability” which is true, and if a teacher can’t achieve this then they should at least try to learn how.

This post also has brought to my attention the fact that in order for us to graduate and become future educators we must pass the micro computer class, but if they were to take a teacher who graduated fifty years ago with the same degree we are striving for and tell them they must now pass this class as well, I can grantee if the teacher was technologically illiterate they wouldn’t be able to do so. I think in all fairness every teacher should be able to use technology at least to a certain extent.



Social Media Count
It’s quite mind blowing seeing the speed of the tools of technology increase by the second. Teachers should be aware of the rapid growth rate of technology around them and if the students have the knowledge of using the technology I think the teachers should as well. Technology can definitely be useful for teachers in the classroom. In the future when I become a teacher I know technology will be the prime choice of educating in the classroom.

5 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    I think the point of A Vision of Students Today is simply pointing out how universities are. It shows the corruptness that takes place, and how students aren't gaining anything out of the classes. I think a lot of universities main goal is to get money. I have heard that many universities accept pretty much any student, knowing that they aren't going to succeed. They just want the money! I think that almost 50% of students who enter college do not get past their freshman or sophomore year. That is astounding! As teachers, we cannot operate our classrooms in the same manner as many college professors choose to do. You have to admit that EDM 310 is like no other class you have ever taken. You are actually learning and gaining practical tools to use as a teacher. Although Dr. Strange isn't standing up lecturing, you are learning. We have to completely restructure the way classrooms are operated.

    Also, why do you think people are sucked into Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your Social Media Count post, I agree that it is mind blowing how fast technology is changing. I also think that teachers need to educate themselves about all the new technology that comes out. We need to be able to relate to our students. If we expect our students to learn new things then we should be willing to learn new things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people say that Universities turned into business a long time ago. Lots of students who come in with loans and grants, the school gets paid and the failed students get dead-end jobs paying the school loans back for something the school never gave.

    But you are right in the fact that we should know what we are getting into before we start at a higher learning institution. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of higher learning institutions are loosing the battle of how to convey new learning and lecturing techniques for the upcoming students.

    And as a future high school science teacher, I'm sure I can do and exhibit a lot of things with the use of technology, but my choice of it being the primary method wouldn't sit well with me. I want the students to still respect me for the knowledge I know because I did walk through what I had to. Honestly, if schools could get away with it, they could pull almost anyone off the streets who can read and stick a remote in their hand to some slide show to start "teaching" students subject matter. That thought kind of annoys me. lol.

    And yes, we should know what technology is enveloping our students. Those numbers are absolutely mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie lyn,
    I agree with you on the fact that the amount of money we have to pay for today’s college education is outrageous, that part I understand, but some things in the video just didn’t make sense. If the students choose to attend a university knowing how much their classes cost, then why would they waste their time on doing other things in the classroom besides trying to gain an education? If the students are concerned about the amount of money put into their classes then they should make an effort to receive knowledge regardless if the teacher is not just putting it out there. Like I stated in my post, are the teachers boring and unable to educate efficiently or are the students lazy, because from my personal college experience I have gained large amounts of information from the majority of my classes. After reading your comment “I have heard that many universities accept pretty much any student, knowing that they aren't going to succeed. They just want the money! I think that almost 50% of students who enter college do not get past their freshman or sophomore year.” I’d like to point out the fact that yes, colleges accept students but they surly cannot predict who will not succeed. I think anyone that is accepted into college has the ability to graduate, and if the student chooses not to then that is their own decision. I do agree that I’m gaining a lot from edm310, Dr. Strange has a unique way of teaching and I’m definitely learning new techniques of being an educator of the future. To be quite honest with you I’m not sure why people are sucked into facebook, maybe it is the fascination of knowing what everyone is doing or what is on their minds? For me personally, I like to stay in contact with my friends I don’t get to see very often.

    ReplyDelete