Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Additional Assignment #1

A. What are the educational implications of searches such as Google Squared provides? -For one of my searches I searched “Mississippi colleges” and with using Google Squared I got the description, location, enrollment number, and telephone number right away for each college, vs. a bunch of random websites to click on and search through.
B. What are the educational implications of searches such as WolframAlpha provides? -For this search I searched “lady gaga” and all that came up was her name, date of birth, and place of birth, vs. when I searched her in Google 322,000,000 results came up.
C. Did you know about Google Squared before this assignment? No
D. Did you know about Wolfram Alpha before this assignment? No
E. Reread your comments about Did You Know. Have my comments altered your thinking about anything you saw, heard, read, or reported for the Did You Know assignment? If not, say so. If so, describe how in as much detail as necessary.
-No, when first watching the video I was already aware of the fact that China and India’s population were much larger than the United States.
F. What did you learn from this exercise about how you react to and deal with "statistics"?
- I first learned that there are more efficient ways of searching things online vs. always using Google. I also learned to not jump to conclusions simply because a fact is stated, research the facts to learn further information.

Food for thought- I find it shocking a six year old can instantly know how to work an Ipad when many adults claim they can’t even turn a computer on.

Pitcairn Islands map

No comments:

Post a Comment